Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Knitted Sock

Am absolutely livid now, I have so much spare wool around the house that of course I thought I would have plenty for socks. I would have of course if I was knitting socks for children. As it was I attempted my first sock and flew through it, it took me two days in total. Being pregnant does help with knitting, my husband harps on at me to put my legs up at the weekends and not to overdo it. So I pick up my knitting needles and wonder what I can finish or start. This weekend it had been slouchy socks. I was fascinated by all the beautiful socks I saw on so many blogs and really wanted to know what the thrill was. Besides being very fast and easy enough to knit up, the finished result was great - well, once they were on anyhow. I finished one sock and passed it to my eldest son Ryan to try on. He loved the feel of it and chalked it down as the most comfortable sock he had ever worn. Immediately I got an order from Rob, my DH and Ben my youngest son for socks too. I got straight into doing the second sock and much to my annoyance soon discovered that I wouldn't have enough to finish it. So, I unravelled it and began knitting up a smaller version which Ben could use, all the time glaring at the first finished sock knowing that I would have to unravel it and do a smaller one.




Ben of course is completely thrilled that he gets to have the first pair of socks. But will definitely make sure from now on that I have enough wool. This pattern is from Sublime and though I didn't use the exact wool specified, the wool I did use was so snuggly and as the others testified cosy that I must rummage through my various wool boxes to see if I have any more of it in different shades. I think I've gotten the 'sock bug' :).

3 comments:

  1. They look great, Did you do them on 2 or 4 needles. I used to knit them going to school on 4 needles, 'turning the heel' was always a chore.Probably put me off for life, I could never see the trill of knitting them either may try them again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, Congratulations on your first pair of knitted socks. They are so nice. That is my favorite thing to knit...(besides baby things) Once you knit one pair, you are "hooked." Have you knitted a pair for your new baby yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were a two needle pattern, which though easy enough to make also made the final hurdle unbearable - alot of stitching up with the seams.
    Haven't knitted a pair for the baby yet but found the most adorable pattern for booties on Ravelry so might do those instead. :)

    ReplyDelete