Saturday, February 7, 2009

Christening robes and blankets





I was up until the wee small hours of the morning again suffering from more heart burn, I really thought I had come to the end of it but this little one likes keeping Mammy up until all hours. Getting me used to it for when she arrives I suppose. So I decided to trawl through the miriad of knitting, crocheting, crafty blogs out there and I was put to shame a thousand times over. Whoever said the art of knitting was dead, has obviously never been blogging. The pieces I witnessed were amazing. To tell you the truth, I have never been an adventerous knitter. I keep to the basics, venturing on occasion to create my own designs or to mingle someone elses with something else, to get a particular look that I want.

The hats, scarves, socks and gloves I saw last night were wonderful, the colours, textures and designs. Nothing I would have ever considered doing until now. I know I have kept to my baby knits and dolls which to me is probably a safe place to stay but after seeing the work on all those other sites, it has really inspired me to get up and try at least. My local library has begun a knitting and crocheting circle every Tuesday morning, so am going to go along to that and a brand new woolen store has also opened up in Midleton and will be hosting a knitting circle the first Thursday of every month. Though this months one is on the 19th. I'm excited about it all. Of course as soon as the baby comes, am going to have to revise these knitting circles a little but until then...

Today I decided to take photo's of the beautiful christening robes my sister and close friend Kathryn did for both my boys. I commissioned her to do one for both of them, so that they would each have their own to keep for their own families someday. She's in the middle of doing a beautifully intricate one at the moment for baby number 3 and really going to town on it. Mainly as she's the godmother. :) Each one is so different and the detail is wonderful. She like my mother are the adventerous knitters, they can read patterns way better than I can and more to the point follow them.





Of course not to be outdone, I did attempt to crochet a blanket for Ben's christening. I didn't even contemplate if for Ryans. Hadn't put in enough practise I guess. I only learnt to crochet while working at a nursing home, so can only do the square blankets. But went to my local library the other day and got a crochet book out and hopefully will attempt some pieces from it but like I said, it's following an actual pattern at times can stump me.






I've begun one for this baby, using the wool my mother got me as part of my Christmas present this year. It's delicate and beautiful but I fear it will take me forever to crochet any big enough blanket. Thankfully the christening won't be for a while anyhow, which should give me plenty of time and if I manage to disregard some of the other projects that I have on the go... lol, that isn't very likely to happen, now is it?



3 comments:

  1. The blanket looks gtreat so far,take it with you in the car like I do and any time you are waiting whip out the needle and wool.You will be surprised how fast crochet grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful!!! A girl this time? How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely do that Mom, goodness knows I usually just read a book but if I through on an audiobook and whip out the crochet blanket, I'm bound to get a fair bit done. Thanks for the tip.
    Well, we're 95% certain that it's a girl, Clara. Of course Murphys Law dictates we'll be the other 5% but either way we don't really care. Once the baby is healthy and hurries up. lol

    ReplyDelete