Sunday, February 8, 2009

Home Knits - my own

I mentioned before that I attempt to design my own stuff on occasion. The reason being sometimes is that I just can't find what I want anywhere. My youngest son Ben has been a mad Thomas the Tank Engine fan since he was 2yrs old (now nearly 6)and for the life of me, I couldn't find a knitting pattern anywhere for a Thomas jumper, I couldn't even find a sweater in the shops - at least not until after I had finished my version of a Thomas jumper. The design part itself was easy, the measuring and trying to get tension right was something else but eventually I began work on it and it only took me a week. Of course this is a week, staying up until ungodly hours until the front was done. The back, sleeves and hood were easy to do of course. Up until last year, he was still getting use out of it and when I suggested we give it to a charity shop so another child could have it, he nearly passed out with shock. He is more than happy for the new baby to get it (when she turns 3!)





I attempted a Henry jumper as well the following year for his third birthday but I don't think it is a patch on the first one. I've done various silly things like this but the most recent I suppose was the 'Big C' jumper I knitted for my 3 week old godson and nephew Callum. I don't think it will fit him for a while yet as he is tiny, even though I managed to knit it to fit 0 - 6 months. At least the hat should be ok. Another project I'm working on is a knitted version of Mrs Rabbit, I couldn't find any in the shops or on e-bay. So I decided to wing it myself and hoped to goodness it would turn out fine. Mrs. Rabbit as in Peter, Cottontail, Mopsy and Flopsy's mother. I was going to do the full set but will wait and see how this one turns out. When its done I will post up a photograph. If its not too embarressing an attempt. :)

5 comments:

  1. The green one with the hood looks great,much better than any of the patterns I have seen.I hope you kept the pattern as i usually scribble on a piece of paper as I am knitting and then lose it, so I have to work it out all over again for a repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, thanks for visiting my blog. Ireland....WOW! The knitted sweaters are amazing. If you can design those, I'm sure you can figure out how to mske something besides a granny square in crochet. I like to knit too. This past winter a year ago, I learned how to knit socks. I have just about knitted muself to death. LOL That's the reason I picked up my crochet hook again. I had to do something different for a while. My husband says he is going to put a crochet hook ar a knitting needle in my hand when I die. I always have one or the other in my hand when I sit down to rest. It is like therepy for me.
    I'm going to read some more of your posts now. You are my kind of people....a stay at home Mom and one that likes to knit. I haven't looked at your photography yet. I love that too. I never leave the house without my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting Clara, have gotten a crochet book out but it all looks double dutch to me, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. And the moment it's just patience holding me back I guess. I haven't uploaded anything new since September to my photography blog, weather has been too shocking to get out taking my landscape pictures in and now we're simply waiting for the baby to arrive.

    I have the graph still for the Thomas pattern but must check to see if the rest of the pattern is with it. Knowing my luck it won't be of course. Have gotten a file now to keep all my 'own knits' in as well as single sheet patterns, so hopefully will be a lot more organised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, thanks for dropping by my 'den' :-) wanted to repay the visit, love your blog and will have to add you to my reads, if that's ok.
    Love those sweaters, but I agree after all that hard work I'd not want to part with them either, they should be handed down for generations :)
    How's the weather in Ireland? My mam has been getting snow in the north of England, but not much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, the weather here has improved to the point where it's not raining anymore. We had some snow last week but after a few hours it was gone again, much to the childrens disappointment. Would be delighted if you added to me to your list, should have asked first before adding yourself, sorry. Too enthusiastic for my own good. :)

    ReplyDelete