Monday, February 9, 2009

Other projects

Well as our baby is due shortly, I decided it was time to get the room ready. I had settled for some reason on a Peter Rabbit / Beatrix Potter theme but discovered soon enough that any stores here in Cork did not sell any thing of this nature. Winnie the Pooh, no problem, Dora the Explorer and tons of other stuff but no Beatrix Potter. So I went on e-bay and online to a dozen other sites, which exasperated me more. I got shunted from site to site and soon discovered that these sites were like search engines and didn't actually sell anything. The stuff on ebay was alright I guess but not want I was looking for at all.

So after mulling it over, decided as the walls in the babies room were a nice creamy colour anyhow, I would not bother attempting to find a freize or border but to draw one around the wall instead and then paint it. I decided to do a square canvas water colour of a Peter Rabbit scene as a trial run and though not a work of art, it looked fine. So am itching now to get on with my border. Of course hubby is all, "you should be resting and not painting rooms" type of thing but honestly, there's only so much rest I can actually stand.



I downloaded a black and white picture to get the outline and then a coloured version, so I would have the colours somewhat right. I kept Peter out of the finished picture as I wanted to just see how I could manage the others first. There was no point in me going over the top on it. Of course now that it is finished, I might do another one or two just to hang up around the wall a lot higher up than the border that will be positioned around the center of walls.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is adorable! You are so creative and talented. Lucky baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish, lol. My attempts at anything seem to take me forever to do. My mother does watercolour painting all the time and is wonderful. I get whatever bit of talent I have from her, especially the knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda
    Your having a baby!!! You must be so excited...such wonderful news.
    I thought I was the only one who liked Beatrix Potter...I know how hard it was to find anything ten years ago when I was making my nursery. However I do have a crib quilt panel that is unfinished. The colours match your painting perfectly. Thanks for the well wishes for my new shop, it has been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another blog make over already?! Your paintings would be lovely mounted on those canvas type boards you see in hobby shops and aldi and lidl do them from time to time too.You made a lovely job of it very professional,keep the colours very light and trace with pencil and you can rub out most of the outline drawing then when it is finished.Well done

    ReplyDelete